EVENT DESIGN, PLANNING & PRODUCTION

1.28.2011

Recipe Friday: A Mean Clam Chowder

After watching Bobby Flay throw down a salmon chowder. I figured I would share that I make a mean chowder and it can be ready in about 30 minutes.

I never use a recipe and each batch varies in flavor (usually because it's that meal I whip up when I haven't been to the grocery store in a bit), but here is the gist of my method...


Sauté 1 chopped onion and 4 celery stalks.
(If you want you can start with cooking bacon until it's crisp and using some of the fat to sauté the vegetables.)
Drain 3 cans of minced clams and add the juice to the pot.
Dice 3-4 red potatoes and add to the pot (add water to cover the potatoes if needed. Bobby Flay roasts his potatoes, which I might try).
Season with a little pepper
While the red potatoes cook, dice 2 sweet potatoes and add to the pot. They add a sweetness to the chowder.
Once the potatoes are almost cooked through add 2 or so cups of light cream
Once heated through add 1/2 a bag of frozen corn and the minced clams.
Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce
Simmer a few minutes then serve.

No comments: